Sunday, January 1, 2012

Merry Christmas!

This post is a bit late.  We were pretty busy, and while I did have some downtime on Christmas Eve (amazingly), I did not want to separate it from Christmas Day, nor did I want to be up super late blogging on Christmas Day.  We had a really busy week, especially since Keira was out of school.  It was a big training week, and we had a visit from Grandma and Grandpa.

On Monday, we went to the gym and I squeezed in a swim and a run today.  I don't usually run on Mondays, but with Christmas Eve being on a Saturday, I initially was not supposed to run on that day.  Things changed, and I did, but it was great to get this done.  We also worked on making oreo truffles for the families that Ryan visits for home teaching.

On Tuesday, we got up early and I was able to finish my midweek long run before driving to Cincinnati to meet up with Grandma and Grandpa.   They were coming to visit before Christmas so we could spend more time together, and we chose to meet in Ohio because I had received 4 free passes to the Cincinnati Museum's Holiday Express exhibit from a neighbor who couldn't use them.  We also needed to go to IKEA and use my parents' vehicle to pick our our gift from them to us, a new dining room table.  Keira and Soren really enjoyed the train exhibits at the museum. 

We had a quick lunch at IKEA when we picked up our table, and got back home in the early evening to meet up with Ryan after work.

On Wednesday, I ran outside at home before we headed to the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory Tour.  They were also doing a special Christmas Exhibit of the Charlie Brown Christmas.  This was the last year that it would be here in Louisville, so I was glad we were able to see it.  They only allowed pictures in the Slugger portion of the museum, not in the factory or Peanuts exhibit.  Soren did not like the tour at all due to the noise, but enjoyed the rest.

My parents headed home after that.  Also, that afternoon, Soren smashed our laptop screen with a toy.  It was rather upsetting to everyone.  We were going to head out to look at phones, and I just wanted to send a quick email first.  When I opened up the laptop, the screen was destroyed.  Rather than going out and getting new phones, I spent the rest of the evening on the phone trying to set up the repairs.

On Thursday, I did a swim workout.  On our way home, Ryan called with a local place to potentially take the laptop.  I stopped by on our way home, and it was almost $200 cheaper than Dell, and they could fix it while we waited!  I dashed home to cancel our Dell repair order, pick up the computer, and hurry back.  This helped cheer us up a bit, and I was able to get it fixed there.  I was less than excited about watching Keira and Soren in the small store that was wall to wall screens with a Christmas tree in the center, so I took the kids next door and got Soren's haircut while we waited.  It felt good to have that fixed. 

Once Ryan got home, we went to Meijer to get the food that we needed for our Christmas Eve dinner.  It also felt good to have this done, especially given how much time I had spent working on the laptop. I cranked out our gingerbread train.  We probably should have made it earlier, and I debated returning the kit because I probably should have used my time better doing something else, like laundry or more present wrapping.
On Friday, we another busy day.  I had a nice swim workout, and then picked up our breads for the weekend from a great bakery called Plehnes.  It was a madhouse.  I guess that means I was in the right spot, though!  I had planned to let the kids eat a cookie at their cafe area, but when we got there, the area was closed off and packed with trays and trays of items for sale or pick up.  I did let them select a cookie, but we needed to take them on the road with us.  That gave us a little break at home before our next stop, though.  They made a car out of chairs in Soren's room, and had a lot of fun with that.

Ryan got off work shortly after lunch, and met us at the Ford dealership for a 9.99 oil change.  We went to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up a couple kitchen gadgets to help prepare our Christmas Eve dinner while we waited for the truck to finish.  Once that was complete, we had dinner at Smashburger again.  We really like that place. I made the dessert, chocolate mousse, for tomorrow before going to bed.

Saturday was a busy day at home.  It was Christmas Eve.   I went out for an 11 mile run, and while I was out I saw two ladies from church as well as a neighbor.  It was a beautiful morning for a run.  Ryan rode the trainer once I got back, and then we had a light lunch and then got to work preparing our Christmas Eve dinner. 

We opened up Christmas Crackers, and the kids liked wearing their crowns. 

We had a steak roulade with cheesy potatoes, green beans, and rolls.  The kids ate noodles, rolls, and beans.  Everyone enjoyed the mousse.
We read the scriptures that tell the story of Christmas.

Nana and Papa had given the kids one box to open on Christmas Eve which contained pjs

Sunday was Christmas Day.  We planned to go to church at 11, and initially hoped to drive to MI afterwards.  Keira and Soren slept in later than we expected, and we got the kids up to be able to open their presents in time for church. 

They really enjoyed their gifts, and we decided that it would be better to wait until Monday to drive, since we didn't have much time at all for them to play before we needed to leave for church.  We were also not packed yet, and would have gotten in very late.

 We enjoyed going to church, which was one service combine with La Grange ward, and then had a very relaxing day at home, celebrating the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments: