Sunday, May 16, 2010

Domino's Farms Field Trip


This week, Keira had a field trip to Domino's Farms. It was probably the highlight of her week. For me, this week was full of training, and Ryan was able to have a great Saturday ride.

On Monday, we went to the Sports park with Nana. She brought cousins Lleyton and Bryn. We had some issues with the fact that the port o potties were removed while we were there, so we didn't stay as long as we normally might have. Keira and Soren enjoyed playing with their cousins and Nana.



We went to Maybury in the evening for a quick ride and run, and were happy to take advantage of the nice weather, as it quickly turned wet and cold.

On Tuesday, Keira went to school and learned about farm animals. She made a "Pig in the Mud" craft, pink pig, and a circle that she didn't explain to me. I don't think she was excited about her muddy pig, because she didn't want me to hang it up.


It was a pretty dreary wet rainy day, so we didn't do much out of the house today. I did go to the dermatologist to get my biopsy results back, and it just came back as eczema. This was a bit of a bummer, because there is no easy fix, but at least I don't have anything serious.

On Wednesday, it was dry, but cool. We were supposed to have a playdate after the gym, but that was cancelled since the ground was too wet to play outside. We hit the mall briefly instead since Keira was pretty disappointed.



By the afternoon, the roads were fairly dry, and I was able to ride my bike with Cristina, and her friend Julie, at Island lake. We did a 25 mile route that was mostly in Kensington. Cristina really pushed me, and I was hurting on the hills. I did this "big hill" for the first time too. Ryan is familiar with this hill, and I later learned it was called Tower Hill. I felt bad that Ryan didn't get to ride tonight, but with my race approaching quickly, I need to get in some major road miles.

On Thursday, we woke up to storms. This did not make me very happy, because today was Keira's field trip to Domino's Petting Farm. Fortunately, Keira didn't fight me on wearing jeans and snow boots. Also, the storms subsided as we arrived at the farm, and the rain stopped while we were in the presentation portion. Keira and Soren both enjoyed the farm, but not the weather. The goats were their favorites. I think my highlight was when the long horn came to the fence and mooed at us during the hayride. Keira and Soren looked pretty grumpy in some of the pictures, but I think they had a great time. Neither liked sitting in the hay on the hayride or getting rained on.



We met up with Nana for lunch afterwards, since Keira went from not wanting to leave to being instantly starving and ready to go. I also realized that Soren was running a temperature in the afternoon. He had slept in pretty late, and felt a little warm when he woke up, but was really warm after his nap.

On Friday, we had to cancel our postponed playdate again, due to Soren's fever. I took him into the Dr to make sure he didn't have an ear infection (which he didn't), and then Keira and Soren played outside a little bit. It was really a nice day. Keira had fun pushing Soren on the swings. She is trying to give him an under-dog.


I also completed my cake project for tonight's youth fundraiser dessert auction. I was really pleased with the way it turned out. It wasn't perfect, but it was decent for my first try with fondant. Since it was homemade fondant, it may not have been as easy to work with as the store-bought kind. Everything went well until it was time to transfer it from the counter to the cake, and it got a little wrinkly and stuck to itself because I didn't use sufficient corn starch/shortening as I rolled it up, so it didn't unroll nicely. Once I got all the decoration on, it seemed to look a lot better. The bow turned out really well, and was very easy to do.


On Saturday, Ryan had a great ride with the Wolverines. He was able to really push himself today, and show his strength. The did a route out to Brighton, and Ryan was the first of his group up Tower Hill. I took Keira and Soren to the playground in our neighborhood while he was gone.
Soren is an expert at finding planes in the air. If we are ever stranded on a island, Soren will certainly be on plane watch, according to Ryan.

When Ryan got back, it was my turn to ride. This was my last weekend to do a big, hard workout before my taper for my Olympic distance tri at Island Lake in 2 weeks. Valerie and Barb met up with me, and I rode 27 miles. We did a route that went up to the top of Tower Hill, back through Kensington, and finished with one lap of Island Lake. I finished out my workout with a 10K run. I wasn't sure how far I would run when I started, but I was feeling great after a couple miles, and was going FAST! I ended up finishing my 10K at a sub 8 minute/mile pace, which really amazed me, especially because I was on my own. It was also a huge confidence builder for me. I am feeling really ready for my race now.

Sunday was a long day for me. Soren couldn't go to nursery since he hadn't been fever free for 24 hours yet, so Ryan stayed home with him from church. I was still exhausted from yesterday, and had a baptism to attend in the afternoon. I was very glad I attended the baptism today, because it made me think about my own baptism, and how I am happy that I made the choice to join the church. It was almost exactly 8 years ago- just 2 days off. I can't believe how time flies!

Up for next week- we will hopefully have Soren get back to 100% and not have Keira get sick!

1 comment:

Amie said...

That cake is amazing! WOW!