Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Olympic Tri, Sarah's B-day, and Memorial Day

This week was a HUGE week, especially because of the long weekend. I had my first Olympic Tri, my sister Sarah turned 30, all on Memorial Day weekend. It was also Keira's last official week of school.

On Monday, we enjoyed the nice weather outside. During the day, we took a walk up to our playground. Keira and Soren enjoyed watching the pool fill up. They were pretty sad to learn that we would have to wait all week for it to open.

Soren has been making really funny faces lately, and saying, ooooh and oh as he make them when he is excited about something. It is pretty cute, and he knows it.

We also went to Maybury that evening.

On Tuesday, Keira had a field trip to the library. She also brought home many of the projects that had been hanging in her classroom today.

It was a beautiful day, and Soren and I enjoyed one of our final days this school year just hanging out together. We went to Fuerst Park near Keira's school and had a great time. They have several sculptures for sale on display.

We also had fun with bubbles in the yard until Soren needed to go to sleep. Keira and I spent Soren's naptime reading outside. It was such a fun afternoon.

On Wednesday, we met up with Michelle and Amber for visiting teaching at Power Park. Keira and Soren had a blast playing with Sydney and Zach.

That afternoon, I met up with Cristina for one last bike ride, and then also to try out my wetsuit for an open water swim. I was amazed with the difference I felt. I am sure some of it was that I had been training for almost a year specifically to improve my swim, but I could feel the difference the wetsuit made. I had swam a short distance in the pool in the morning, and it felt easier in open water than it had in the pool, even after a bike ride. Ryan was able to get out for a ride once I got back.

Thursday was Keira's final day in her classroom. I took this picture on our porch in the morning. She looked pretty happy here, but her attitude changed dramatically after I picked her up.

I took the opporunity to take Soren for a run by himself. It allowed me to get "extra" rest time in since I was doing my final training run early in the day, so I had all day today and tomorrow to recover before my race. It was also much easier to run with just Soren, and it was very hot. Soren enjoyed the fast stroller, and fell asleep. I was a bit sad that I couldn't do more with him during our final day together until the fall, but he is better off being well rested.

Keira was so sad that it was her last day of school. She didn't want her picture taken and she cried. She brought home an alphabet book that she had worked on all year that is super cute. It is a keeper for sure.

Keira and Soren were also under the impression that our pool was open a day early, and it wasn't. To appease them, we went to the gym pool. Sadly, it was a bit chilly today, and Keira was just too tired and grumpy to enjoy it. We didn't stay long. Soren was his normal chill self, even though he wasn't overjoyed by the water temps either.

Friday was a planned rest day for me (us). We hung out at home for a bit because Soren took an early nap. Soren had gotten all snuggled in to Keira's bed on his own, so I knew it was time for him to take a nap.

Then we took Kris and Linda to the airport today for their Alaskan cruise. After that, I headed out to Island Lake to survey the layout of the transition area and ask questions about tomorrow's race. I met up with Cristina and Julie there, and hung out for a bit before heading home. We had a great carbo loading dinner at Macaroni Grill before heading home for an early night.

Saturday was the big day of the Island Lake Olympic tri. I slept horribly, waking up a ton, and waking up really early. I was able to find Cristina easily and get everything settled. The swim wasn't as horrible as it could have been. While the nerves of the race atmosphere got to me a little, it wasn't too bad. My biggest problem was that I kept swimming to the right, which if I wasn't careful, put me in oncoming swimming traffic since I was slow and also in the final wave to start, so there were lots of people ahead of me in the out and back course until I got really close to the end. I had to make more course checks than I had planned to make sure I was going the right way, but I wasn't the last one out, and I finished up the swim in 40 minutes. I felt great on the bike. Ryan brought the kids down while I was on the bike, and it was great to see them. I did see Julie on the bike, and she was finishing with her sprint distance, and I saw Cristina way ahead of me as well. I completed the bike in 1:26:20, which I was pleased with. I forgot my number as I started the run, and thankfully they didn't DQ me or make me go back and get it- I asked as soon as I realized it, and wasn't too far away if they would have made me go back. The run course was a combination of paved and grass/trail. It had a few hills, and I did pretty well on it. It was very hot towards the end, but I made it in 53:13. My total finish time was 3:02:35. I was 4th in my age group, and 11th female out of 24. I had the fastest run time for my age as well, so that made me really happy. I really need to work on my swim! I felt pretty decent afterwards, and feel ready for the T-Rex series coming up.

After my race, Ryan went on a 20 mile mountain bike ride at Lakeshore, and then we picked up some Lee's Famous Recipe fried chicken. We haven't eaten there in a long time, and it tasted great. We also got some Dairy Queen, which Soren loved since we let him eat it himself. Finally, before ending this super busy day, we took Keira and Soren to our pool that was officially open.

On Sunday, we went to church in the morning, and then drove to Ohio to surprise my sister for her 30th birthday. Due to my race the previous day, I was really hesistant to commit to coming down, and since I felt so much better after the tri than my marathons, we decided we didn't want to miss her party. Thanks to David, we were able to get directions to the party location. We made perfect time on our way down. Sorenw as very cute on the drive, asking "dat fing" about everything he saw, and saying bye bye to every train, truck, tractor, farm or whatever he saw. We got their just before my parents and Sarah arrived. They were so surprised to see us. It was such a fun way to spend the evening.

Keira and Soren really got their party on, and were pretty wild and loud. It was funny, because they were running around in circles and shrieking. We were glad that no one minded, but knew we couldn't keep them there too long.

On Monday, it rained in the morning, so we went out to lunch with Sarah and Bo and my parents. After our lunch, Ryan and my dad went for a bike ride, and I went for a run.

Before leaving town, we went to Graeters, and then got back on the road. What a busy weekend.

Up for this week, we have Keira's school party, and I need to come up with a new routine since she will be done. I also need to switch gears somewhat and start increasing my running mileage if I really plan to qualify to Boston this fall.

No comments: