Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Michigan Week and Happy Birthday Mom

This week was busy, as usual. We spent the majority of it in Michigan, and then traveled to Ohio to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. I am really thankful for all the help I received from my friends and family to be able to train as much as I did this week since Ryan went back to Kentucky.

It really felt like things were back to normal for the kids being in MI this week. it makes me excited to get into a "permanent" place in KY so that things become consistent there. Keira went to school on Monday and had a great day. While Keira was at school, Soren went to the gym and seemed a bit hesistant, but then perked right up. It was nice to be in a normal sized pool again. I also took Soren to the mall to get a pretzel and play while Keira was at school. Once we got back, they both enjoyed playing with the many flower petals that had fallen from the trees.

That evening, the kids went over to Valerie B's house to play so I could ride with Kristel. This ride ended early due to a flat, but we got in a nice run afterwards so it was a good mini brick workout.

On Tuesday, I took both Keira and Soren to the gym in the morning, and we met up with Valerie, Katie, and Luke at McDonalds for lunch. Keira and Soren had a blast playing with their friends and it was great to catch up with Val.

On Wednesday, Keira went to school again and Soren and I went to the gym. We were also able to go to Storytime at the library. Ms Kathryn snuck us in, since it filled up today! This is the last week of the regular storytimes of the school year. Keira and Soren also got haircuts from Sally after school. Soren really needed one badly.

That evening, Kent watched Keira and Soren so that Valerie and I could do a Wolvering Sports Club ride. We got rained on, but still finished 32.2 miles and were filthy. It was fun to draft, and it made it a lot easier than doing all the work. I did "pull" on the way back for 13 staight miles. Ryan came back into town while Kent had the kids and hung out with them until we got back.

On Thursday, I did a really tough run workout. I was so tired from the night before. We were hoping to do lunch with more friends today, but had to postpone. I worked on getting things organized a bit and a few unplanned errands. I learned today that Cristina would be riding her long ride tomorrow, instead of Sat, so I made arrangements to be able to ride with her. Ryan was able to get in a club ride tonight too.

On Friday, Keira went to school and Soren and I got ready for my ride. We went to REI and then got the car packed. I took Keira and Soren to McDonalds closer to Linda so that she could watch them. This was a huge help. I met up with Cristina and rode 58.6 miles with her (well, trying to stay with her). I am thankful she put up with my slowness. We saw several people we knew out there too, which made it fun. I was glad to do a long ride here. I picked up the kids and took them to Noodles while Ryan got his haircut too.

Saturday was a big day. Ryan went to do his ride with Kent and the Wolverines. I went to REI to check out their sale and pick up a few things. While I was there, I got a call from Ryan. That is never good. Kent had contacted Ryan's rear wheel with his front wheel, and went down. He ended up with a dislocated pinky finger, 3 broken ribs, and a collapsed lung. He is doing OK all things considered, but will be in the hospital for several days. It could have been a lot worse, and we are thankful that his injuries are not more severe. We felt really bad that we needed to go out of town right away and could not be more helpful. We got on the road later that afternoon. We made it to Ohio without any issues, just in time for my mom's 60th birthday party to begin. We had a good time celebrating with her and my Dad, as well as seeing David and Sarah. Kris and Linda also came down for the event.

The next day, we had a relaxing morning and took Keira and Soren to a new park not far from my parents' house. Sarah and David came too, and it was fun to play with them. One of the highlights of this park was an interactive game that was a bunch of large buttons on posts in a circle. The buttons would make noise and light up, and you had to push them while lit to get points. Soren loved this game. It was like pushing the elevator button on steroids. He cried so hard when he had to give some other people a turn. The teeter totter was also very fun.

We got some ice cream with my parents before heading back to KY.

No comments: